White Feather
If you plan on posting, Register. It helps the community grow. And the larger the community grows, the better the community and the forum itself gets.
White Feather
If you plan on posting, Register. It helps the community grow. And the larger the community grows, the better the community and the forum itself gets.
White Feather
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the White Feather Forum!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Keywords
Latest topics
» Sadly, An End for now.
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 7:22 pm by Mono The Elderish

» Team Interrobang.
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 pm by Mono The Elderish

» Do things. Or Batman will find you.
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 5:32 pm by Miss.Owl

» Podcast 3) 4/25/2012
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 pm by Mono The Elderish

» Graphic novel discussion list.
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm by Mono The Elderish

» CELLLLLLLLLLLLLT!
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 pm by CelticaNoir

» The Fire Thread
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 am by iEuphoria

» WF Arma platoon
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 11:27 pm by Mono The Elderish

» Team Interrobang [!?]
"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:36 pm by Mono The Elderish

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

free forum

free forum

Similar topics

"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder.

Go down 
    2 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Mono The Elderish
    Admin
    Admin
    Mono The Elderish

"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. Empty
    PostSubject: "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder.   "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 pm

This was written by me, (Mono,) For a contest a couple years ago. I lost, But I thought it was interesting enough to post here. And was based on this song, Here.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9_tVXjjHM)

“Camilo”

No one saw it coming.

General Camilo Rodriguez's sudden and violent rise to power was as quick as it was silent. The sudden assault on our civil freedoms was appalling.

I remember where I was when I heard the news. I was in my field, sampling some of my crops, the year so far had been dry, so the soybeans were not as far along as I had hoped they would've been by this time of year. I scanned the horizon, Not a cloud in the sky. I turned and started to walk back home. Back to my family. To my loving wife Theresa. And our two young children, my daughter Sophia, Age 10, and my son, Raphael, aged 13. It was Raphael who ran up to me now,

"Papa! Papa! The Minister of Defense! He declared himself President!"
    "Eh? Who told you this?"
    "Mom! She said to go and get you right away!"
    On the way home we passed the home of the Ramierez family, John Ramierez was the local carpenter. He had Practically furnished our entire house. He was sitting outside on his porch looking very upset. He noticed us and walked to the edge of the road.
    "Have you heard?"
    "Heard what?"
    "That the defense minister has declared himself president with the support of about a third of the parliment."
    "I heard that he declared himself president, I didn't hear that!"
    "Yeah, Apperently half the military and a quarter of the airforce supports him too."
    "We'll see about that. The airforce usually polices itself. Look, I gotta get home..."
    "Of course, of course, Tell Theresa and Sophia I said hi. Nice seeing you guys again!"
    "Nice seeing you too Mr. Ramirez!" said Raphael as we started walking away.

Once we got home again, My wife had food on the table. Pinto beans and a small piece of pork. Simple, But filling. After dinner the children were sent off the play and I turned on my televison to the national news. The Newscaster was a heavy set hispanic man, Tonight he was looking especially concerned as he read the news. " Today, parliment is in a outrage at the audacious announcement of General Camilo Rodriguez The current Minister of Defense. At 12:08 this afternoon, He announced A vote of no confidence in President Romero, And requested his removal from office on the grounds of senility. Due to a unexplained absence of over a third of parliment, the vote passed 24 votes to 15. In other news, riots in the city of Calmeto have forced officals to declare martial law and send in elements of the 252nd Infantry Reserve To help maintain order.

We didn't sleep that night. Later, lying awake, "What are we going to do? Calmeto isn't that far away..." She was scared, I could tell, We whispered so as not to wake the children.

"We'll make it. Were not going to go anywhere for a while, but we'll make it."

"How can you say that? What about food? clothing? Money?"

"Well, we've got a a little saved up so we can live on that for the short term. As far as food goes we can trade soybeans to the Soto's for food, maybe we can trade them to the Mendoza's for clothing too, if they'll accept them."

"Alright. I'll go into Olpas and see the Soto's tomorrow. It'll be a decent excuse to see Sonia again."

"Sonia?"

"Sonia, My sister Sonia?"

"Oh, right. That one."

"I'm going to sleep. Goodnight."

"G'night."

I stayed home the next day at Theresa's insistence.

"I don't need to stay home, the kids are going with you!"

"But what about the house? I don't want to come home to a house empty from looting!"

"Who's looting?!"

"Or whatever, burned down, eaten by goats, does it matter? I want my house to be safe!"

"But What about my field!?"

"So, You are saying that soybeans don't grow themselves?"

"Well, They do in a sense, but what about the weeds?" I knew I had already lost this fight. I loved her, but Theresa could be such a pain sometimes.

"The soybeans can look after themselves for a day. My house can't."

"*sigh* "Alright, Alright, I'll stay home."

"Good. Now, lets get going children. See you later honey!"

"See you guys later!"

As I watched my family drive off in the family car, I felt a pang of regret, Should I have gone with them? Then, I realized that, my duty was to guard the house. The televison and Theresa's jewellry. What little there was. Plus, a oppertunity like this shouldn't be squandered. I hadn't had a day to rest in years!

An hour later I was starting to get hungry, so I went and raided the fridge. There was a little left over pork, and half a loaf of homemade bread. A little searching revealed the mustard. Good enough. But

just as I was sitting down to eat, a knock came at the door. It was the local goverment offical, Ahmed Garza.

"Hello Mr. Gonzales." He was always respectful but everyone thought he was shifty and gave him a wide berth.
    "Hey Ahmed. What's the news?"

"No news, just wondering what you think of our defense minister." He was fishing. Not a good sign. The last time He had acted like this there had been a fertilizer shortage for a month due to " a truck accident down south."

Bah. Spiteful against the entire community. Just because the police chief had rightfully told him he couldn't arrest people since it wasn't his governmental department.

"Well, I'm going to wait this out and see how this thing turns out."

"Ah. Ok then. I'll be going."

"So soon?"

"I have many more people to visit."

"Alright then. Talk to you later." He nodded and moved off toward the other houses on my road, scribbling something in his little black book.

Ahmed's visit unnerved me. He normally stayed in his office and didn't bother with asking any of us our opinion of current politics. I was wondering what he was up to when the phone rang.
    "Hello?"

"Honey?!" It was Theresa, she was crying.

"What's going on?"

" It's the Soto's, They took them!"

"Who took them?!"

"We don't know. Men in trucks! We tried getting home before we saw them take the Soto's, they've blocked off the roads!"

"Alright, can you guys get to a hotel and barricade the door?"

"We're at Sonia's They already boarded up the windows and blocked the door. Someone said that the parliment was all shot!"

"Ok, ok, just stay inside don't leave no matter what. Are the trucks still there?"

"No, that's what I'm calling about. The trucks are heading toward you, we think they left about an hour ago. I've got to go, There are men coming up the street. I love you. " "I love you too." I replied, but the line had already gone dead.

I fell asleep watching the news. And praying that this would blow over.

It's been 20 days since General Camilo Rodriguez's men woke me in the middle of the night.

I resisted.

They threatened to kill me if I didn't come with them. They took me without reason. Only telling me that I had committed "Crimes against the state." I have done no such thing.

After several years of service to my country, it is forgotten. No one cared when I was taken. My neighbors hid behind thier curtains and thier doors and watched as I was pushed into the truck. Where was the outcry? Where was the person saying, "Stop! What right do you have to take our friend and neighbor?"

They saw. They knew. But it never came. You have probably forgotten my name by now. But I will never forget yours. You have created a government as shaky as a house of cards. Your reason for starting your coup is a giant fallacy. Soaked in blood. Your lies have brought in support from other nations. Will you rightfully refuse this currency? Or is blood money, just money to you? I hear your soldiers marching outside my prison. I hear the guards talking about the bombs you sent your political enemys through the mail.

And I hear of the latest riots you've started. You may kill me, but the truth shall remain. Like it or not this country's story of your oppression will escape. And when it does, Your reign will die. As violently as it was created.

I pity you, General Camilo. You are a dead man.
    Prisoner #34-528-231 C. Gonzales
    Back to top Go down
    https://whitefeather.forumotion.com
    Mono The Elderish
    Admin
    Admin
    Mono The Elderish

PostSubject: Re: "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder.   "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Also, At the Time, I had no idea of the back story to this song.
    Back to top Go down
    https://whitefeather.forumotion.com
    LovelyStarkid
    Retired Moderator
    Retired Moderator
    LovelyStarkid

PostSubject: Re: "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder.   "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 pm

MONOFIC! IT IS A MOOOOOOONNNNNNNOOOOOOOOFFFFFIIIIIIIICCCCCCCC
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder.   "Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Camilo" A Short story by Mono The Elder.
    Page 1 of 1